Information for Organizations and Programs
Organizations and programs must have the capacity to:
Address stereotyping, bias, discrimination, prejudice, and other ISMs.
Work toward health and mental health equity and social justice.
Organizational Cultural Self-Assessment
and linguistic competence requires
- Value diversity
- Conduct cultural self-assessment
- Manage the dynamics of difference
- Institutionalize cultural knowledge
- Adapt to
- Policies - structures
- Values - services
- Building Integrated Systems to Address Sudden Unexpected Infant Death just released!
Competence: It all starts at the Front Desk
the Cultural Divide in Health Care Settings: The Essential
role of Cultural Broker Programs | En
Brief: Cultural and Linguistic Competence in Family Supports
on Language Access, Frequently Asked Questions
Cultural and Linguistic Competence into the Multiple Systems
Encountered by Families Following the Sudden, Unexpected
Death of an Infant
Planner's Guide...Infusing Principles, Content and Themes
Related to Cultural and Linguistic Competence into Meetings
Brief 1: Rationale for Cultural Competence
Brief 2: Linguistic Competence in Primary Health Care Delivery
Systems: Implications for Policy Makers
Brief 3: Cultural Competence in Primary Health Care:
for a Research Agenda
Brief 4: Culturally Competent Strategies for Engaging Diverse
- Promising Practices
For all NCCC resources, see Resources & Tools
Links and Other Suggested Resources
- Brach, C, Fraser, I. Reducing disparities through culturally competent health care: an analysis of the business case. Qual Manag Health Care. 2002 Summer;10(4):15-28. Review.
- Lieu et al. Cultural competence policies and other predictors of asthma care quality for Medicaid-insured children. Pediatrics. 2004 114(1): e102-e110.
- National Center of Medical Home Initiatives for Children with Special Needs
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations: Hospitals, Language and Culture initiative
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Organizational Supports for Cultural Competence