Holding up the mirror - for Clergy
Questions for Reflection on “Sitting Shiva”:
- Thinking back, what have your reactions been to the news about a pregnancy or infant loss?
- How do you encourage families to share such news within your congregation?
- Has your own family experienced such a loss? How does that affect your reactions to hearing this news from others?
- What are ways that you can keep yourself from putting up the three obstacles to sitting shiva:
- running from the pain
- trying to explain the unexplainable
- blaming (the parents, the medical system, etc.)
- What supports and self-care do you need and use to help you do this painful and difficult work?